Sunday, October 16, 2011

Trust

Just like the book states in the first paragraph "trust is the most important part of any relationship." Wether it is a spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, sibling, friend or co-worker there needs to be an established trust in the relationship. In order to be trusted and to trust others all other leadership connectors must be present, any/all aspects of Communication, Support, Safety, Competence and Continuous Renewal can be questioned if trust is not at the heart of the relationship. If trust is broken it will be imperative that it is quickly and delicately repaired.
I appreciated the section on respecting vs. liking. It is important for a leader to remember that they may not like everyone they work with or who works under them but there needs to be an underlying mutual respect.
Having a caring environment at work is important and I liked the suggestions: Greet everyone you see each day, Use their names when you greet them, refrain from complaining, don't engage in gossip and treat people the way you want to be treated. (126).
Perceived betrayal is just as grave as betrayal and needs to be addressed. I think I highlighted all of the suggestions to avoid betrayal and perceived betrayal and I will say that I used some of it today in dealing with a personal matter that has been lingering and it worked. Of the suggestions I personally liked: Never talk negatively about anyone, THINK BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH(in all caps because this is so very important and something that I am really working on). Stay away from negative people, their problems, their messes and ugliness, Don't share your personal problems at work. Never lie and apologize.
This book for me has not only helped me in my place of work but also in my personal life, I have greatly appreciated reading it.

3 comments:

  1. Megan, Good post. I believe you highlighted the most important to retain the respect you have earned. I also liked the part of the book that talked about not having to like everybody but having to respect everybody. That is so true. We all come together each day to do what is best for our students. We cannot let personality conflicts interfere with the work that we are trying to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan,

    I always enjoy reading your blogs! Thank you for being honest about what you are currently working on professionally and personally. This book has been a valuable read. You are accurate in your statement that trust should be the heart of any relationship. When it is broken, we must do everything to restore it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy your blogs. Trust is everything. With it, you can move mountains. Without it, you can do nothing.

    Nicely done,

    Don

    ReplyDelete