Sunday, October 23, 2011

Face to Face Sessions 10/21-22

Let me start off by saying that this past Friday and Saturday were very informational. I feel that every part of it was worthwhile. I liked very much the presentation on School Law on Friday night. I do not think that some of the leaders at my site have as much knowledge that I feel I am now equipped with. My AP actually asked me for a copy of the information that we received this weekend because he didn't go through the course work he just took the test. I appreciated having the powerpoint slides while listening to the presentation that evening. There was so much information that was covered and yet I felt like I was able to actually understand and retain it.
Starting Saturday off with Dr. Hauser was so uplifting. I liked how we were in different mixed groups and were working on interactive activities. Her agendas are always followed and she is a perfect example of how to manage a meeting. I appreciated her agenda format that we go to take home and work with people from Clovis as well as Sanger. I also liked that we went over the forms for Graduation and we always know with this program what is expected of us as students." Changing behaviors vs. Punishing Behaviors" I wrote down this quote that Dr. Hauser said during her presentation and it really resonated with me I am going to put it up in my classroom.
 The presentation by Dr. Kevin Torosian was very enlightening. I appreciated with all the presentations in these sessions the "take away" part. The small pamphlet with Ed Code procedures and guidelines is something that I can refer back to when need be. He was a very intelligent, blunt and to the point and I appreciated him not sugar coating anything. I realized that it is ALL about helping kids and that they need to be treated as individuals and not just looked at as Ed. Code violators. It is an issue or Equity and that will not mean that each kid is treated exactly the same every time.
FRISK- Facts, Rule, Impact, Suggestions/Directions for Improvement, Knowledge. I appreciated Dr. Wise showing us examples of what a FRISK letter should look like and the importance of the FACTS!
Lastly the discussion/presentation on the Fullen book. I loved reading this book and applied it to my professional as well as personal life.Dr. Buster said " Change is 3/4th of just letting go and that is the hard part and 1/4th of it is actually moving on." Once leaders/people can let go of the past they will be free to move on and start the change that needs to occur.
Wonderfully insightful weekend. Looking forward to November 4th and 5th.
Megan

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog. You really point out some very important topics mentioned during the weekend. I was also inspired by Dr.Hauser when she said, "Changing behaviors vs. Punishing Behaviors" as educators we need to focus in change and not punishment. Thanks for such an insightful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Megan. I'm glad the sessions were useful to you as a leader of kids and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,

    You did a great job summarizing the weekend's sessions. All of the presenters did a wonderful job teaching us valuable information about school law, student/employee discipline, the FRISK process, and Motion Leadership. I agree with you about Dr. Hauser's interactive presentation. It was nice sitting and working with people from Clovis. It made the time fly by! I was able to apply information that I learned from Kevin Torosian the very next week when I served and my principal's designee.

    Nice work!
    Linda :-)

    ReplyDelete