Sunday, November 6, 2011

Face to face sessions 11/4-11/5

Fridays session started off with the review of our Credential paperwork done by Dr. Hauser. She is always straight and to the point. I appreciated her being there to walk us through what necessary things we needed to do to obtain our credential.
The panel of people from HR was impressive. I appreciated that there was a representative from Clovis, Sanger and Visalia. It gave us three different perspectives on what different districts are looking for in hiring as well as how to keep out noses clean as a site administrator.
The presentation done by CADA was of a high interest to be since I currently serve as the activities director at my site. It gave me some new strategies on how to do things differently at my site. It made me reflect on how my school was viewed from an outsider and I created a list of things that should be there and I am planning on presenting them to my principal on Monday when I meet with her. The piece about how important Activities is to a school site was heart warming, I just wish all site administrators felt that way. Students do not come to school to take tests, but rather to feel connected to someone or something and that is what Activities is for.
Saturday's Session:
To be honest the first part before lunch was much more interesting. I learned many new things that I did not know about district and site budgets. I had not idea about Prop 98/11 and the court case deciding how much funding goes to each student per school. It was astounding to me that due to our own financial deficit in California less money goes to the schools. The focus should be on preparing students and not taking money away from them because the state did not balance their budget.

3 comments:

  1. It's great that you are already thinking of how to implement your new learning from this weekend! That's what effective learners do...If you don't use it, you may lose it...Or so I've heard! :-) I'd love to hear how it goes. Have a great week! -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the CADA presentation was interesting and informative. I'm glad so many current and future administrators had the opportunity to hear the information. When I think back on high school, it's the activities I remember, not sitting in a classroom. Students need to have those activities not only to get involved in different things but also to step outside their comfort zones and meet new people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan,
    I am glad the CADA presentation affirmed your beliefs about how important activities are to students in high school. It is the heart of the school and a good way to motivate students to get involved and excel in their academics. I am very excited to see what your site decides to implement as you move forward with the grant.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete